Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Wise Beyond His Years

In a post I made a few months back, I said that I'm about done with my local Marine Corps League detachment.  There's been a lot of bickering and infighting, and it's just not fun anymore.  While I still have one foot out the door, the fact that I'm writing today should indicate that I haven't yet given up.

We had our monthly meeting yesterday, and I went, after skipping the August meeting.  (We usually don't hold a meeting in July, because it tends to conflict with 4th of July weekend.)  I wasn't really looking forward to the meeting, but I had a specific reason to attend.  One of my delayed entry poolees just returned from boot camp after earning the title Marine, and I invited him to the meeting to talk about his experience.  I may have soured on my detachment, but I still like the idea of Veteran Service Organizations in general.  I invited this young man, because I believe that it's important for veterans to support those currently serving.  I believe it's important for those currently serving to be exposed to veteran service organizations so they're aware of our existence, and are open to joining a VSO when they hang up their uniform for the last time.

After this Marine spoke, he hung around for the rest of the meeting.  This wasn't our usual meeting, where we read the minutes and conducted business as usual.  We suspended our normal procedure and had what I'd like to call a family meeting.  It started with the Detachment Commandant reading the mission of the Marine Corps League, and saying that it feels like we've forgotten our mission.  He followed this by addressing the divisiveness that's taken root in the detachment.  He acknowledged the contributions of the old guard, admitted that we've gone through a lot of changes lately, and said that he appreciates how these changes have ruffled some feathers.  He also said that change is necessary if we wish to continue as an organization.  Next, he talked about how we have driven off some new members, citing a couple of examples without naming names, and encouraged us to brainstorm ways to do better and move forward.

When the meeting finished, the young Marine and I spoke at length.  He said that he was impressed with our meeting, and shared that he got to see that we have the same problems as everyone else, we addressed the problems head-on, and that in public we carry out our mission.  That statement hit me hard.  I've been so focused on my anger that I was unable to see the larger picture.  This kid is wise beyond his years, and it gave me a bit of a reality check.  I'm not going to say that I'm recommitting myself to the detachment, but I am going to take a mental pause and let his words of wisdom sink in...

No comments: