In my previous entry, I mentioned that wifey and I were going to a wedding. Mission accomplished. Oh, before I continue... in that post, I said I couldn't remember attending a wedding since younger daughter got hitched. I forgot about my brother-in-law's wedding last summer, and it's a shame I forgot, even temporarily. I like my brother-in-law, and I feel he chose a great woman to be his wife. The wedding itself was a ton of fun, including the groom singing musical songs before the bride walked down the aisle.
The wedding last weekend was a young woman whom I'd consider a surrogate daughter, and I'm delighted that she found the right man. They're a great couple and I am confident they'll have a lifetime of happiness and companionship. The wedding itself was short and sweet, and I really liked the layout of the venue. It was three separate rooms on the second floor of a building in downtown Omaha. This allowed the wedding to proceed seamlessly, followed by a quick walk to another room where beverages and snacks were waiting while the bride bustled her train and relax for a few minutes before the meal. When we sat for the meal, the caterers quickly set up shop for the buffet, and the venue employees converted the wedding hall into a dance hall while we ate. It was logistically the most seamless wedding I've attended.
The bride and groom had a block of rooms right around the corner from the wedding hall, but I was too slow to make my reservations, so wifey and I had to get a hotel a mile or so away. The drive from hotel to wedding was weird. Downtown Omaha's streets are undergoing massive construction to install streetcars and for extensive utility work while they're at it. Every single street was one lane, one way. Oddly enough, there was no traffic though, so this was a minor inconvenience. It was weird to jump from lane to lane multiple times within a couple of blocks though. It felt like I was driving an obstacle course.
The drive to and from was easy. I don't frequently do road trips anymore, and this one was pretty easy. I kind of enjoyed just cruising down the road, listening to the radio, enjoying the scenery and quietly holding my wife's hand. She's the best travel partner I could ask for.
With that much going on, the weekend felt quite short, but it was also cool to do something out of the ordinary.
No comments:
Post a Comment