Monday, February 19, 2007

An Invitation to Politicians - Let Me Interview You

Over the last few years, the news - particularly the Internet media - has made a big deal about the impact bloggers are having on political elections. At this point, I'd like to humbly point out that I'm a blogger, and I'm politically aware.

Mr. Politician, I am your worst potential nightmare, and your greatest possible helper. I am non-partisan, but involved. I am willing to listen, but am not without opinion. I hate the current political climate, but hold a tremendous amount of respect for individuals who speak their minds, not the party rhetoric.

Last weekend, John McCain came to my little corner of the world to speak. I don't agree with everything he says, but I do have a tremendous amount of respect for him. He was humorous, engaging, interactive and I believe he spoke from the heart (despite periodically referring to the crib notes in his hand). This is what I've long appreciated about McCain... his willingness and ability to speak his mind.

With that said though I realize that we're barely into the game, and I'm keeping my mind open. I will be listening to what all of the candidates have to say, and I will be listening keenly. Are you interested in courting my vote, and the votes of people like me? Let me interview you. I am not one of the powerful media outlets that will get your word out to millions of people in one fell swoop, and I will not whitewash your message.

What I will do though, is listen to what you say. I will give you a fair shake, with no preconceptions. I will probably ask you a question or two that you aren't expecting, but I will also report my experience on my blog.

By the way, my comments about Mr. McCain are not indicative of what you can expect from an interview with me. You can expect a semi-professional interview, part human interest, part politically oriented. I will post my questions and your answers, and I will use the interview as a base for my personal assessment. Be forewarned though, I've got a pretty good nose for bullshit, so I will probably be able to tell if you're giving me your own personal thoughts or if you're saying something that your advisers tell you to say.

No comments: