Sunday, July 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm Okay

I know. I haven't posted in a while. I'm a bad, bad person. I haven't written lately because I'm not inspired. It seems like I've already commented on or lampooned the crap that's happening in the world, and I can only repeat myself so many times.

At home, it also seems like the same thing is happening. The sun rises, the sun sets. The seasons change. The kids grow. The love between my wife and me grows. More stuff that I've already discussed or satirized.

I am enjoying my life. During the summer, I go more places and do more things. I don't mind working outside, and life's simple pleasures -- eating wild blackberries, growing fresh tomatoes and walking the dogs -- bring me happiness.

I did recently have a milestone birthday. (I won't say which birthday, and I won't reveal the date.) I got a fry daddy as one of my gifts and tried it out last night. I'm totally inexperienced at fried food. My first stab at a fried coating didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. It was cornmeal based, and I didn't like the flavor. Later on, I tried a second try, making a coating based on Bisquick. That shit was stupendous! The Mrs. and I ate fried mushrooms and boneless fried chicken tenders. Yuuummmmyyyy!!!

I'm going to have to pace myself, so I don't burn us all out on fried food. With that said though...

What's your favorite fried food recipe?

Have you tried those fried apples? I may try that for the kids.

What's your favorite type of coating? Flour based? Cornmeal based? Something else entirely?

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I kinda figured you was enjoying life Ozzy. Here in SC we can't do those sort of things as hot as it's been lately.
Happy Belated Milestone Birhday too- I'll assume it was your 29th!
I'm with you- detest cornmeal coatings in a deep fryer- it burns way too easily and wrecks the oil for further use.The ONLY thing I like that has a cornmeal based coating is porkchops and then they have to be done in an iron skillet.
I don't like very thick flour based coatings on anything either,to be honest.
My favorite coating is to get a bit of just regular flour(About a cup) and put some garlic powder(A Tablespoon), Mrs. Dash or Tony's Cajun Or Seafood Seasoning(A COUPLE Tablespoons) and black or white pepper in it(Depends on how much you like pepper-us about 2 Tablespoons).
Sometimes I'll pre-coat the meat or veggies with a TINY bit of cooking spray or a light egg wash and THEN coat them wih the dry mixture.

I'm a simple girl........wait- that didn't sound right.........

Enjoy every moment of the rest of the summer with your family Oz-man.
You never know when inspiration will hit ya!

Paulius said...

It sounds odd, but sunny introduced me to this one:

Fried chicken (to Sunny's recipe), but instead of flour use ground up cornflakes. Just put the cornflakes in a sandwich bag and go over them a few times with a rolling pin.