Sunday, May 17, 2009

Let's Talk About my Stupid Dog

I've got two dogs, but I'm only going to talk about one today. She's a sweetheart. She's an escape artist. She invades your personal space. She's around eight years old and still thinks she's a puppy. She drinks out of the toilet and then tries to lick you. She loves laying at people's feet. She hates going outside in the rain. And she tore her left rear paw last week.

The cut went from just above the ankle down to the end of the paw, between the two outer toes. I took her to the hospital and it took about two hours to clean and stitch her up. I still don't know how she did it. I asked her what she did, but she wouldn't tell me.

The vet said to keep her paw bandaged for the day, and then remove the wrap and let things air out. She didn't understand how exuberant my dog is. Realizing pretty quickly there was no way to make her go easy on the paw, I chose instead to keep the paw wrapped for about five days, changing the bandage every so often. I figured it would keep the paw protected and prevent stitches from being ripped out, while still giving enough support to let her run and play in the back yard with her sister. I think I'll take out the stitches today.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Awwww...poor doggie. At least you used your own judgment about the bandage situation.

Will she sit still long enough for you to remove the stitches yourself? and why didn't the vet use the dissolving stitches on her?

You know- my kids used to say "Ah-uh-know" when they got hurt doing something they KNEW they shouldn't have been doing in the first place. Do ya think that might be the case with your "doesn't-wanna-tell-you" doggie???

Evan 08 said...

I'm sure she'll sit still long enough for me to remove the stitches. I can't say why they didn't use dissolving stitches, but in my experience, nylon stitches are used for external injuries, and dissolving stitches are used for internal injuries.

She'll definitely sit still long enough, but I'm not sure I'm gonna do the stitches. Some are pretty tight and I may not be able to get the scissors in far enough to cut 'em.

And yeah, I'm sure she did something she shouldn't be doing.