Thursday, July 1, 2010

...And Life Marches Forward

I suspect that by now everyone who reads my humble blog has noticed that I haven't been writing as much as usual. This is due to a combination of a lack of fresh material, and because life has kept me engaged in reality. There's a teeny piece of me that misses the blogging, but for the most part, I find that my other activities provide plenty of fulfillment.

Work is work. I've been putting in many hours, effectively becoming a full-time employee. Since I'm paid by the hour, I can hang with this. I must admit though, I sort of miss having some down time to do stuff around the house. For example, I started refinishing my kitchen cabinets over four months ago, and I'm still less than half way done. And I've started even more projects. I could spend a lot of time working on them, but hanging out with the family takes precedence... a choice I happily make.

With the summer season upon us, my garden is in full swing. But this year, it's the weeds that are prospering while my tomatoes, broccoli and so forth fail to yield. This one is a bit beyond my control. The garden was placed in an area surrounded by trees, and the trees have grown to a point that the garden doesn't get enough sunlight. I may simply replant grass there next year and have a deck garden instead.

I'm spending some quality time riding my motorcycle, but mostly it's commuting to and from work. I wouldn't mind some more weekend rides with the kids, but they're coming to an age where they want to hang out with their friends instead of dad. That's okay though, like I said, I've got plenty of stuff to keep me occupied. Last weekend, I did a ride to J&P Cycles with my younger daughter and some friends. It wasn't a lot of miles, but it was a lot of bikes, and it was an all-day event, so it was all good. Next weekend, I may do a poker run. I've never done a huge ride with a lot of other bikers, so I'm kind of looking forward to that.

Church is keeping me very busy. It seems that sometimes it's almost overwhelming. When I joined the church, I wanted to become involved... it's something that I'd been missing. It was a good way to serve God, expand my circle of friends, and do something for my community. I'm getting what I've asked for in spades. Every now and then it seems like too much of a good thing, but not to the point where I feel the need to withdraw... I don't want to do that, so I simply set limits, and say 'no' when I can't do what they ask. Fortunately, they understand my limits, and in the end it's all good.

I guess what I'm saying here is that life is life. Some days, I'm overwhelmed. Others, I'm content. Either way, I'm living the dream. And it's a funny thing about dreams... in a single dream you can go from bliss to despair to confusion to the surreal, but the dream continues. This dream is my life, and I'm not in a hurry to end it.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Know what you mean, Evan!! I've been so busy with all the stuff going on in my life that I just now have got to sit down and read the entire blogpost! I skimmed it before but I sat down here tonight/this morning and really took the time to HEAR what you were saying. Life does have it's moments, for sure, but it's good when people understand when you have to say no to a request. As for the kids.....well, kids are funny creatures. Mine always wanted to do stuff with me- but they also had their days when they wanted to do their own thing with their friends. And they always had time for mama. I miss them being little- there are so many things I would do differently. But it's too late for regrets. So just enjoy it how it happens.
I hope you guys are having as nice a weather as we have been...minus the heat wave and accompanying threat of heat-stroke that goes with it. I STILL dream of owning another bike someday!!

Yay on the full time work schedule!

Your garden sounds like the results I got last year with mine. I didn't bother this year!!

I've noticed a pattern with almost all of us fellow bloggers....In summer, we all tend to slack off our blogging a good bit- but we start up full force again in the cooler months of the year when bad weather keeps us inside.
I'd say that's a GOOD thing!!!
(Sorry so long in the comment!!)

Evan 08 said...

Well Sunny, there are probably a few things that every parent would do differently. But life is too short for regrets, so I try to just live with the mistakes and do better in the future.

I definitely see the blogging pattern you've mentioned. And like you, I think that getting out in the real world is a good thing.