Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Justice System is Flawed

I lost a large portion of what little faith I had remaining in the criminal justice system this week.

Back in 2011, my daughter's sleazeball ex-boyfriend was charged with first degree burglary and several other charges.  Based on what I've been able to learn from public record, his entire family (meaning dipsh!+, his parents, and his minor sister) broke into an area business and stole five to six figures worth of cash and merchandise.  Jack@$$ agreed to a plea bargain, and pled guilty to first degree burglary.  In exchange for his guilty plea, all other charges were dropped, and he will be on probation for three years and be required to pay fines and restitution.  Assuming that he complies with all conditions of his probation, his record will be expunged.  Generally speaking, I would not have an issue with this.  Everybody makes mistakes, and everyone should be entitled to a second chance.  But in this case, I disagree.  For those of you not familiar with this lowlife, let me give you a little more information that will convince you too that he should be behind bars.

Since originally being charged in early 2011 (just shy of three years ago), he's exhibited an unwilliness and/or inability to limit his behavior to legal activity.  In June of 2013, he assaulted me, breaking my nose.  In July of 2013, he ran over my daughter with his pickup truck, breaking her wrist and ankle.  Later that month, he and a friend were charged with first degree theft after stealing over 10,000 worth of merchandise.

His behavior has been bad enough that DHS became involved; he has been ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation, a drug abuse evaluation, to submit a family history sheet, submit to random drug testing, and he is only allowed two one-hour supervised visits with his son per week.  Despite claiming that his son is "the most important thing" in his life, Dipsh!+ has missed approximately 1/3 of his scheduled visits, only complied with the court orders after being forced, and has failed urinalysis tests.

The final straw, in my opinion, is his contempt for the court system.  After agreeing to the plea deal, he skipped his sentencing three times.  Each time he skipped, he was arrested and ordered to pay an increasing amount of bail.  So... the guy commits first degree burglary with his family... breaks my nose... runs over my daughter with a truck... fails court-ordered drug tests... and skips his sentencing.  Like I said, everyone deserves a second chance, but this guy blew his second... and third... and fourth... chance before he was sentenced.

I realize and support the rationale for his sentencing.  Everyone is presumed innocent, and remains so until proven guilty.  I understand that he's not yet been convicted for the three subsequent crimes.  I just hope that the system is serious about enforcing the terms of his probation.  The fact is, sleazeball ex-boyfriend doesn't give a sh!+ about anyone or anything except himself, and he's unwilling to behave within the confines of the law.  I believe that he's unredeemable.  It's in society's best interest to get his @$$ to jail.  Unfortunately, I am skeptical that anything serious will occur, except for maybe a month or two in jail, more fines, and longer probation.

1 comment:

rayray said...

well if you don't trust in the system, you can probably trust that the P.O.S. will be back IN the system not long after being released.