Friday, May 22, 2015

What Goes Around?

On more than one occasion, I have talked about my older daughter's ex-boyfriend... the biological father of my grandson.  Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have nothing but contempt for this individual, and knows why.  The guy is currently 23 years old, has assaulted me and broken my nose, has run over my daughter with his truck, absconded with my grandson, and has been convicted of two felonies.  (That's just the highlights.)  He hasn't seen his son in over seven months, and hasn't paid a nickel to support the costs associated with raising a child.  To make matters worse, he tells anyone who will listen that it's my daughter's fault that he can't see his son, which is absolutely false; and during the most recent custody hearing, he told the judge that he had another child on the way, and that he was ready to stop fighting to see my grandson so that he could focus on the baby on the way.

When he ran over my daughter, DHS got involved.  They determined that he was a danger to my daughter and grandson, and gave him supervised visits with the boy.  He was told that he needed to complete a psychological evaluation and a drug abuse evaluation, and to get counseling if that's what the evaluations determined he needed to do.   He was given three one-hour supervised visits per week in the interim.  Over the next year, he made no attempt to complete his evaluations.  He was inconsistent in visits to the point where DHS dropped him down to one visit per week.  Eventually he quit showing up altogether.

His felonies consist of first degree theft and burglary.  His assaults on my daughter and me brought about two more convictions, but he has served no jail time to date.  A few days ago, I found out that he got busted for OWI. In addition to the OWI charge, he's been charged with speeding (20+ over the speed limit), driving without a license, driving with no insurance, failure to obey a traffic signal, interference with official acts, providing false identification and not wearing a seat belt.  When he got busted for the OWI, the court saw fit to re-evaluate his felony convictions.  (The first conviction earned him a deferred judgment, and the second conviction earned him a five-year suspended sentence.)  Based on the County's inmate roster, he's still sitting in jail.  Makes sense.  In order to get out on bail, he needs to come up with about $15000 in cash.

IF he's convicted, there's a reasonable chance that he will finally spend some time behind bars.  It's not guaranteed, and I'm not going to hold my breath.  But I am holding out a bit of hope that what he sent around will finally get back around to him.

1 comment:

Lavada said...

Orange suits him, eh? Karma will win in the end. No worries. Easier said than done, I know.