Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Back On (the) Track

Last week I started hitting the gym again.  It was the first time in three to four months that I've gone, and I've got to say I missed it.  The reason I stopped going was pretty simple... injuries.  I had back to back to back injuries.  This getting old stuff sucks!  In all honesty, I wasn't quite as faithful about my exercise routing as I could have been shortly before this health-induced hiatus, but I'm ready to get back into the swing of things.

Before this gap in exercise, I had hoped that I could get in good enough shape that I could pull off a First Class Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test in the 18 year old age bracket.  I never did achieve that goal.  In fact, I kind of doubt that I will ever make that goal... at least not with my simple three weekly gym visits.  I suspect I could achieve the milestone if I became a true gym rat, but I don't see that happening.  I will say this though... it's a bit sobering to see how much progress I've lost due to this time away from the gym.  I'm going to have to work my way back to a First Class PFT for my own age bracket, and it's going to be a long haul, because one of my injuries was a stress fracture to my foot, so I can't yet run three miles, much less make the distance within the time limit.

Oh well... baby steps.  Wish me success.

1 comment:

Elena LeShelle said...

Success- I know how it feels to have injuries that keep you out of the gym.

I'm doing a March Blitz to get back into the swing of healthy living after the long lazy winter.

Activity daily...also water consumption, no added sugars in food, clean eating......March 1st