Saturday, July 30, 2016

Whose Mind was Changed?

Earlier this week, I participated in an anti-Trump rally.  Okay, I didn't really participate, I was more of an observer who stood on their side of the street.  To be clear, I really don't want Trump as our next President; but I also cringe at the prospect of President Hillary Clinton.  The fact of the matter is that I genuinely despair at the idea of either of these candidates becoming our next Commander in Chief.  It's a tarnishing example of all that's wrong with the American political system.

As I stood among the protesters, I was initially encouraged by what I saw.  It was a peaceful protest.  The participants were generally happy to voice their opinions.  There was even a guy handing out sandwiches... not only to protesters, but to passers-by as well.  It was common to see the the demonstrators cheer when passing cars honked their horns in solidarity with the anti-Trump cause, which occurred frequently.  As the protest continued, though, I realized that nobody's mind was being changed.  There was no dialogue.  It was merely the protesters shouting and chanting at Trump supporters.  Let me give you an example:

I observed a motorcyclist riding by, who got stopped by a red light at the intersection, ostensibly on his way home from work.  He was quite obviously a Trump supporter, and he started shouting at the protesters.  I didn't hear what he said, but I could tell that he vehemently disagreed with their position.  The protesters, in return, started chanting anti-Trump rhetoric.  The biker shouted louder, and the protesters got louder in response.  Soon their chants were loud enough that the biker's shouts were completely drowned out, so he started revving his bike engine to counter the protesters' volume.

Eventually, the light turned green, and he turned right, which required passing even more of the protesters.  Traffic was backed up because it was rush hour, so he had to endure still more chanting, and he became even more agitated.  (I really thought the guy was going to completely lose his cool and attack the protesters.)  In response he did the loser "L" over the forehead symbol.  He was so angry that he started riding like an asshole in order to get away from them.  (As a motorcycle rider, this frustrated me greatly.)  I was initially amused at his venomous hate and anger.  As a bit of time passed though, I reflected on what I witnessed and was saddened by the spectacle.  You see, both sides were so entrenched in their own beliefs that they absolutely refused to even consider what the other side had to say.  They were so emotionally invested in being right, that they were completely unable... and unwilling... to hear the legitimate grievances of those on the other side of the fence.  There's got to be a better way.  In the end, I couldn't help but wondering... Whose mind was changed?

No comments: