Wifey and I fetched older grandson from Chicago yesterday morning. We’ve got him for an extended visit, and I’m excited that he’s here. After picking him up, we drove to downtown Chicago for a bit of sightseeing. The original plan was to take him to the observation deck at Sears Tower, but the tickets were about $50 bucks a pop, and we had to wait for an hour, so we passed. Wifey had considered getting advanced tickets, but we had no guarantee that we’d be able to make it, considering flight and traffic delays.
From there, we walked through the park, showing off the bean and the public water park area, after which we walked down Michigan Avenue. We stopped in a couple of shoe stores at the boy’s request and introduced him to Pizzeria Due’s deep dish Chicago style pizza.
We left Chicago around 5:00 PM, at the peak of rush hour. GPS sent us home via a path that's different from my tried-and-true method, and from there I made a mistake that cost us an extra hour of drive time. Instead of following the GPS start to finish, I followed a US highway that I usually take. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that road cuts south, and goes through a ton of towns in the previously unexplored area. The result was that I drove more miles, at a slower pace. That’s a mistake I won’t make again. Instead of getting home at about 9:30, we got home at 10:30. Oh well, live and learn. In the grand scheme of things, this is a first world problem.
Oh, on the good side, I got record high MPG in my little Murano. I had a portion of travel where my average MPG was 32+ MPG, and the average mileage was 28 MPG for the tank. To put this in perspective, EPA estimates are 28 MPG highway, and my driving was combination. My mileage was about 15% better than advertised. And no, I didn't drive like a grandpa. I'm too young at heart for that $h!+.
No comments:
Post a Comment