Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Reclaiming My Manhood

Last weekend my wife took the girls to get their hair cut and styled, and I ended up accompanying them. I went with them because I needed the oil changed in my truck and didn't feel like waiting at Tires Plus for several hours, and because I wanted to spend the extra time with the family.

I understand that women getting their hair cut and styled is a big thing, and that they can spend hours searching for the next perfect coiffe, chatting excitedly with the hair stylist and playing with the new style after returning home. I understand it, but I can't relate. I'm a wash-n-go kind of guy. I don't have bad hair days; I usually decide to cut my hair on a whim; and I don't decide whether to radically change styles until I'm in the chair... and my "radical change" only entails cutting my hair short if it started out long. I've got two basic hair styles... low-maintenance and maintenance-free.

Despite all of this, I went to the salon with my ladies, and before I knew it, I was swept up in the moment and got a trim myself. In my defense though, it was only a trim and it was done on a whim. I've got to say though, sitting there with my ladies I almost felt metrosexual. It was amusing and fun, but strangely emasculating. I guess it's more accurate to say that it got me in touch with my feminine side, but not enough for a lifestyle change.

I felt odd for the next couple of days, but I finally reclaimed my manhood this morning. My wife's car battery died, and I came to the rescue with a jump-start.

No comments: