Monday, May 5, 2008

The New Job

The first week on the new job has come and gone, and here I am, already starting my second week.

I'd label the first week a qualified success. I must have really left an impression on the boss man, because he made a kick-ass comment about me on my first day... Anyone can whip up a resume (or pay someone to do it for them). If you paid someone to makeup the resume for you, I'd ask for a refund. Your work [is] far more impressive than your resume. That statement made my afternoon.

I was definitely kept busy the first week. We agreed that I'd work roughly half time, and I ended up working closer to 30 hours. This worked out well, because it's paid for my new laptop, and I kind of enjoyed the work.

The reason I call it a "qualified success" is because it's been a long time since I've had this tight of a leash on me. He hasn't yet given me true administrator authority. Basically, he's given me problems to fix, I make recommendations, and he does the actual work. When I accepted the job, I was told that this would be the case and I really don't object. He's spent many years building his business, and it's in his best interest to build a comfort level with my expertise before fully unleashing me. That said though, it's still going to take a little bit of getting used to.

At the end of the week, I'm still taking a wait-and-see stance. The guy seems to be straight forward in his business dealings with me. He's behaved consistently with how he said he works, but having been burned before, I'm going into this with my eyes opened and a cautious mindset.

I will say though, that his comment on my first day went a long way. Maybe it's more appropriate to say that I'm cautiously optimistic.

No comments: