Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Still Watching the Train Wreck

I was hanging out at a friend's house last night, helping him do some stuff around the house. I asked him if he was going to watch the Presidential debate. "Nah," he answered, "but we can turn it if you want to watch it." I figured he hadn't planned to see it, and was pleasantly surprised when he offered to change the channel so I could watch.

"I don't think I'm going to vote," he said during the debate. His wife came out and echoed his sentiment. They both believe that nothing will change as long as we have a two-party system of Democrats and Republicans. I can't say that I really disagree with their rationale, but I can't support their decision.

My understanding is that Ron Paul realized that he's not going to win any Presidential elections, but understands he has a vocal minority, so he held a rally and basically said if you don't support either major candidate, you can still vote for none of the above, and with that introduced some of the fringe party candidates. I told my friend and his wife about this, and recommended that they vote for someone else... at least they're making their voices heard. But I'm digressing... I wanted to talk about the debate.

Okay, maybe not... there were no real surprises, except that McCain failed to whallop Obama in what is widely accepted a McCain's favorite forum, and the fact that McCain proposed the buyout program.

Anyway, I walked out of the debate still wanting to support McCain, but even more convinced that Obama is the guy. Regardless of what I think though... please vote. Even if you don't choose one of these two guys, voice your opinion.

4 comments:

Paulius said...

I just think it would make for a much more informative and useful debate if the candidates had a choice:

Answer the question put to you, or leave.

I started to get really pissed off that no matter what the question, Obama would start talking about not raising taxes, and McCain would start waffling about his 'record'.

I had to turn it off after an hour because my throat was getting sore from shouting "JUST ANSWER THE GODDAMNED QUESTION!"

Evan 08 said...

I was amused and disgusted by the way they'd both start answering the question and then smoothly turn the topic to one of their strengths.

This is NOT how to debate. Could you imagine how thoroughly (and rightfully) a high school or college debate team would be spanked for doing what these politicians did?

rayray said...

to me, after watching the debates, it seems like either McCain is really senile, or purposefully sabotaging his own campaign so as to help Obama win............or is just me?

Evan 08 said...

I certainly don't believe he's sabotaging himself.