Thursday, February 11, 2010

Removing the Training Wheels

Some of you may know that I've been playing guitar in my church band. More accurately, I've been playing with the church band on Thursday evenings, which is practice night, and we play for a small group that has a Thursday activity at the church.

Furthermore, since I'm the new guy, and because my skills are still developing, I've been playing on a small practice amp. The result is that I can hear myself well, but the others in the church band and the small group can't hear my mistakes.. er, I mean my playing.

The main guitarist recently had a shift change at work, and won't be able to attend Thursday evening practices for a while. As a result, I was asked to plug in to the main amp tonight, which meant that everyone could hear me, warts and all. I'm pleased to announce that my playing was pretty good. I strictly played rhythm guitar during the small group performance, but afterward, I did some lead riffing and it didn't suck. It was really cool. And, by the way, I only the slightest bit nervous.

3 comments:

Paulius said...

Performing is just the best thing ever when you get over the nerves.

Oh and never underestimate the importance of a good rhythm guitarist :-)

Evan 08 said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Paulius said...

In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I almost exclusively play rhythm guitar.