Sunday, March 7, 2010

Expanding My Horizons

You all know that I've been playing guitar in my church band... up to now, I've been playing only on Thursday evenings. This has allowed me to get comfortable with the other musicians in the group, offered a chance to learn the music, and provided me the opportunity to perform before a very small group of people (ten or so).

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that the bass player hasn't been showing up. Unfortunately, I've also been seeing this too late in the game... about halfway through practice. Well, this last Thursday, I caught on right away, and I played bass that night. It was fun... I enjoyed the instant gratification of playing bass. (Hey, face it, after playing rhythm or lead guitar, bass is relatively easy.)

Fast-forward to this morning... it was Sunday, and once again the church band had no bass player. I was asked by the leader if I was ready to play, and I was. So, today, I've grown a bit as a musician. I played bass, and I played in front of a group of about 100 people. Heck, one of the kids even said that I did a good job. It was awesome! And, by the way, there was absolutely no nervousness whatsoever -- despite the fact that I made a few mistakes.

This is a lot of fun!!

2 comments:

Paulius said...

Bass is awesome. It's the easiest type of guitar to play, but still gives you plenty of opportunity to express yourself through it.

Plus, playing bass is a lot like playing the drums...while you can lose a lead guitar solo or a nice chord progression on the rhythm guitar...you can't lose the bass line.

I like to think that if all the instruments in a band are a cocktail, the drum beat and bass-line are the glass.

...if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Evan 08 said...

I enjoyed it quite a bit... not ready to switch to bass, but it's a great augment to the six string