Sunday, March 6, 2011

YAP

In this case, "yap" is neither a euphemism for speaking nor for the mouth. No, for the sake of this post, "yap" is an acronym for Yet Another Project. This was kind of a side project, especially when compared to the scale and time I've taken to refinish my kitchen cabinets.

For a little background, the picture above is what things looked like before. I ripped out the carpet over the summer because my dog (the one who got her tail chopped off last month) decided to turn this area of the house into her personal urinal. The carpet reeked and was beyond saving, so I yanked it out, leaving bare cement in the basement for months and months. Eventually, enough was enough, so I decided to lay some vinyl flooring.


Here's the finished product. It took a couple of days to lay this 10'x12' section of flooring, with the lion's share of the task being prep work... scraping off any remains of the carpet padding, removing the carpet tacks, and filling in any divets with epoxy. The actual laying of the vinyl squares was pretty simple, and I am VERY happy with the finished product. One of these days I will repaint the walls and the brick surrounding the fireplace. That beige is so freaking boring.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

So what are ya planning to do with the surround? A faux stone look? A bold color like Black or Bright cherry red? completely re-do the face of it altogether with marble or granite or river-rocks? You can't just leave us hanging now!!! ;-)