Saturday, June 11, 2011

Evaluating the Vega V-Tune Motorcycle Helmet


After owning nothing but entry-level helmets for the last five years, I figured that it was time to upgrade a bit. For as long as I've ridden, I've worn no-frills helmets. My position was that a helmet's job is to protect my head in the event of a crash, so why spend all the extra money?

As time went by though, I understood that it would be nice to be able to talk with my passenger. I bought a chatterbox CB50 system. Again, the job was communication, and maybe listening to music, so why spend all the extra money. The CB50 did its job, but after riding for an hour or so, the speakers began to press on my ears uncomfortably. The helmet was not designed for the speakers. With this in mind, I figured I'd bite the bullet and buy a new helmet. After looking at available features, I decided on the Vega V-Tune.

Getting a helmet over the internet was a huge leap of faith, because every helmet fits a little bit different. The Bell helmet I've worn for several years was snug. The V-Tune fits noticeably looser than the same-sized Bell. The thing is, this ever-so-slight increase in room makes a tremendous difference in comfort without being unsafe. Additionally, the V-Tune is far lighter than the Bell.

Bluetooth is a nice feature that I don't use nearly as much as I expected I would. I've coupled the bluetooth with my smart phone, giving me the capability to send and receive phone calls, and to listen to music. Both features work adequately in town, but I wouldn't recommend a phone conversation at speeds over 35 to 40, and listening to music isn't worthwhile past 55 to 60.

One feature I absolutely love is the built-in flip-down sun visor. It makes riding into the sun a non-issue.

One thing I don't like is that the visor is kind of noisy at high speeds. The visor vibrates against the base of the helmet unless your head is even slightly tilted down.

Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase. The Vega V-tune is far more comfortable than my old helmet, and the bluetooth feature functions about as well as I had expected. I'd probably buy it again.

March 29, 2014 Edit:
I have purchased a new helmet that I like better.  Click here for the review on my new helmet, the LS2 FF386 Modular helmet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helmets are really necessary for safety and help alot. so everyone should use helmets while riding motorcycle….. Helmet

Paulius said...

I had trouble finding a helmet that fitted, period. I finally found one that fit but was extremely snug...and my only other option was having one custom made!

The really irritating thing, however, was finding out that darkened visors are illegal in the UK. Apparently they think a darkened visor will mean you can't see properly and will lead to accidents...which proves to me that no-one who wrote that law has ever been near a motorcycle (or driven out of a tunnel into bright sunshine.

Evan 08 said...

I like the flip-up sun visor on my new helmet. It gives the benefit of a darkened visor, but it can be hidden at night.

Today's word verification word.

Moncoq: How a French dude refers to his penis.

Mubeen said...

Helmet is very important for safety. I bought this Helmet a month ago and since then i can ride during winter, and I feel very comfortable during my ride.

motorcycles dealers

Sahed said...

Now technology is upgrade. Best Bluetooth bike Helmets is available in market.