Sunday, February 12, 2012

Another Accidental Recipe

One thing I don't eat very often is fish. Growing up in the Midwest, good fish wasn't readily available. Furthermore, the fish that my dad liked was really strong-tasting stuff like catfish... stuff that was so strong that the whole house reeked of fish. I didn't gain an appreciation for fish until well into adulthood. Even now, I need to actually be in the mood for fish... though I can always go for crab, lobster, shrimp or a good clam chowder. I got a craving for fish a couple of weeks ago, and finally decided to make something from the swai that's been in our freezer for a while. I didn't have a specific recipe in mind... I just threw something together based on what was available. The result is best described as "inspired by chicken piccata." I didn't use a recipe, so I can't tell you the precise amounts that I used, but it was some of the best fish I've ever cooked, so I need to share.

The basic ingredients are approximately as follows...
1/4 stick of butter
1/3 cup of white wine
1/3 cup of lemon juice
1/4 small onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 cup artichoke hearts
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup capers

Throw all of this into a pan and sautee it until thoroughly cooked. Add the swai (tilapia or other mild white fish will work as well) and cook, covered. Flip the fish about halfway through the cooking process. After the fish is cooked, generously cover with parmesan cheese on both sides.

This was some tasty stuff! I hope that I can duplicate it one day. If you try it, let me know how it turned out for you.

No comments: