Thursday, July 5, 2012

Get a Grip

Having owned my little Sportster for six years, it should come as no surprise that my stock handgrips were showing their age.  In fact, a little bit of handgrip remained on my hand after each ride.


With this in mind, I decided that it was time to change out my handgrips.  I went with the Kuryakyn ISO Grips with ISO Throttle Boss, as seen to the left. A throttle boss is the little nub on the throttle side that allows you to accelerate by pushing your palm on the throttle boss, instead of using your grip to twist the throttle.

I let the pros do most of my work, but this was an easy task.  I accomplished it myself in less than 30 minutes.  The new grips are immeasurably more comfortable than the stock grips.  The only thing I would change is to make the throttle boss slightly larger.  Due to the small surface area, it can become a bit uncomfortable on the hand after a while.  Kuryakyn does offer a larger throttle boss, as seen on the right (though I'm not yet 100% sure that it will physically fit my grips); it would be nice if this choice was offered right out of the gate.

One thing that I noticed was that the throttle was a tad sticky immediately after swapping the grips, but this worked itself out after sitting overnight.

The grips were expensive, but the difference in comfort can't be described; it can only be experienced.  If my grips had come with the larger throttle boss, I would give 5 stars.  As it is, I have to give 4.5.

No comments: