Thursday, January 17, 2013

Car-ma

I believe that I mentioned my younger daughter turning 16 and getting her license back in September.  Being a self-motivated young lady, and not wanting to drive the boat that the Mrs. and I had purchased for the kids' use, she went out and got a job, and within a couple of months had saved enough money to purchase her own car.

As with any first car, it's an inexpensive used car, and it's got a couple of issues here and there.  Nothing major, just stupid little shit.  I'm not sure how, but the passenger door came out of alignment and wouldn't open, and I arranged a trip to the body shop for a realignment.  (The body shop folks said that the most common cause for this type of problem is wind-related.)

We took the car into the body shop, and I told my kid that she could use the boat while her car is in the shop.  Wouldn't you know it?  She wrecked the boat.  She's fine, and the car's still drivable.  The problem is, I have an arrangement to sell the boat to my older daughter.  The boat WAS a nice car.  Now, it's a mode of transportation for someone who previously had none.  I thought about fixing the damage, but for that price, I might just as well give the car away, because the repair would cost almost as much as I'm charging the kid for the car.

So, what I'm going to do is cut the price of the car in half.  This way my older daughter still has a car to drive, she's still getting a reasonable deal on the price, and I'm done with the headache.  Meanwhile, my younger daughter is getting off relatively easy.  Her car is still undamaged, and the only financial consequence of her accident is the higher insurance bill.  That pain may last longer, but it won't be felt for until renewal time, and that pain isn't the same as having to come up with a large chunk of change all at once.

No comments: