Sunday, June 5, 2016

Just Enough

For those of you who don't know, I am part of the worship team at my church.  I play bass, guitar, and occasionally sing.  Interestingly enough, the strongest of these three talents -- singing -- is what I do least, and lately I've been stepping well out of my comfort zone and playing guitar most, which is my weakest area.  When I say that singing is what I do best, that means that on a scale of 1 - 10, I'm a five or six.  I'm an average vocalist.  I enjoy playing bass and guitar, but I'm not particularly accomplished.  On the same 1 - 10 scale, I'm a 4 to 5 on bass and 3 to 4 on guitar.

On the way home after performing today, I thought about my best friend who died several months ago, and his skill and aspirations as a guitar player.  Greg was a much better guitar player than I've ever been, but almost nobody knew this, because he never played in public.  He had a modest goal of publicly performing in a band, and having an audience appreciate his work, but it's a dream he never achieved.  Somewhere along the line, I decided that his unpretentious intent was something I could do, and I adopted it for myself.  Eventually, I seized an opportunity to play in my church band, and the rest is history.  I've been playing for a few years, and I absolutely love it.

As I stated earlier, I am not incredibly talented, primarily because I don't practice as much as I could.  Regardless, I enjoy playing music, and performing for the congregation, and I am grateful that God has provided me just enough...

... just enough drive to seize the opportunity when it appeared.
... just enough confidence to get me in front of the congregation in the first place.
... just enough tenacity to stick with it through the nervousness and awkwardness.
... just enough talent to be able to contribute to the worship team.
... and just enough self awareness to know when I'm in over my head.

No comments: