Monday, May 29, 2017

The Men Behind the Sword

Some of you know that I recently assumed the role of Commandant for my detachment of the Marine Corps League.  What most of you don't know is that the detachment has a ceremonial sword in honor of two Marines.  When I became Commandant, I asked about the history behind the sword, and nobody knew.  Being Marines, we realized the importance of knowing our history and honoring those who came before; so we set out to rediscover the story of these Marines.

After diligently researching for a bit over a month, I'm happy to say that we once again know the history of these Marines, a father and son team.  The father was a career Marine aviator; the son was killed in action in Vietnam.  I find it rather fitting that our findings were finalized on Memorial Day weekend, and that I'm able to make this announcement on Memorial Day.

No comments: