Monday, September 11, 2017

Protect Our Private Information

I'm sure that you've heard about the Equifax breach.  I don't know about you, but I'm tired of the haphazard, lazy securing of our private data.  Corporate America has proven that self-policing doesn't work, so it's time to get the Government involved.  I will be writing a letter to my legislators at the state and national level, and I encourage you to do the same.  For your convenience, I am including the text that I will be sending in.  Feel free to copy and paste, and send to your own elected officials.

I am writing to express my anger and dismay over the Equifax data breach.  I am tired of not having my personal, private data properly secured.  Government and private entities have repeatedly demonstrated a lack of convern over my financial data and proven that self-policing is not a sufficient deterrant.  With this in mind, I am asking for legislation designed to provide intentives to keep personal data personal, and to punish those who fail to do so.  My proposed legislation is two-pronged.

First and foremost, there must be a real, tangible financial penalty for those who fail to protect customer data.  Companies who fail to protect such data should be prohibited from forcing customers into arbitration. This will allow victims of sloppy security the opportunity to be better compensated for lost time and money.  Companies who fail to protect private data will also be forced to provide lifetime credit monitoring and fraud assistance for anyone whose data was compromised, whether or not an actual loss occurred.  The idea is that it should be the company's responsibility to make things right when a data breach occurs, not the consumer's.  This means that if a company fails to keep my data secure, they are on the hook for all expenses incurred as a result, permanently.  Attorney fees, lost time, damage to credit, damage to reputation, and direct or indirect financial loss should all be subject to this law.  If, when you consider the wording of this legislation, you need to choose between erring on the side of the company, or err on the side of the consumer, you must err on the side of the consumer.

My second proposal is aimed at the Credit Reporting Agencies.  I propose legislation that requires Credit Reporting Agencies to allow all consumers to lock and unlock their private credit information at will, at no cost to the individual.  While consumers have a choice whether or not to carry credit cards, and when to use credit, we do not have a choice regarding whether or not our data is submitted to the Credit Reporting Agencies.  We have neither the right, nor the choice to opt out.  Adding insult to injury, we are usually required to pay for the privilege of preventing third parties from accessing our data, and if we do choose to pay to keep our data private, we need to pay again so that potential creditors and employers can access this data.  This is OUR private information, and the Credit Reporting Agencies are charging us to keep it private.

Thank you for your consideration in this important matter.

For your convenience, I am also including a link that will help you find your elected officials.

No comments: