Saturday, May 6, 2006

Out With the Old, In With the New

I've officially started my new job. My last day at the old one was Tuesday, and my first day at the new one was Wednesday, which should thoroughly explain my lack of posting this week. I was working diligently to wrap up any loose ends at the old job, and I'd like to prove myself at the new digs before I start blogging at work (where I usually do my most prolific work).

I was asked to have a few drinks with my former co-workers on Tuesday night, and ended up too drunk. I wasn't hung over Wednesday, but I certainly wasn't at the top of my game either. To make matters a little more difficult, I had to take these mandatory safety classes... the company I went to is a manufacturing company and subject to OSHA and other silly bits and pieces of over-regulation. I must say, that training is one of the greatest sleep aids I've experienced in a long, long time.

After that, I was put straight to work, by being asked to work on a software application that I know nothing about. Fortunately, nobody else does either, so if I fail, I look "average," and if I succeed, I look like a hero. I think I'll end up looking average. I've also had a lot of discussions with my new boss about where we are -- both as a department, and as a company -- and where we want to be. I've made several recommendations, clarifying every step along the way that I'm not there to turn things upside-down, but to work with everyone to help bring their visions to fruition.

There is the usual amount of political jockeying going on, and I found out about that... I won't write anything yet, because everything I've heard is just that... something I've heard. I will reserve my opinions until I see things firsthand.

No comments: