Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Of Baubles and Bobbles

I've been trying to NOT prattle incessantly about my new toy, and in all honesty I think I've done pretty well so far. (My wife may disagree with me, but cut me some slack... I've got to discuss my new obsession with someone.) Just because I haven't been talking non-stop about it though, doesn't mean that I haven't been out enjoying my new purchase at every opportunity. (This means double kudos to Mrs. Evan, because I'm around less, and when I am around, I'm talking about the bike.)

In all fairness to myself though, I think I've been pretty good. I haven't quit my job and ditched my family for a life on the road, and I haven't blown my life savings on chrome accessories. In fact, I've only put about 1300 miles on it in just about two months, and I bought my first bauble only yesterday. This means that I've done some riding for pleasure, but only when the rest of the family is gone, and I've been incredibly responsible in my accessorizing.

But like I said, I finally broke down yesterday and bought something non-functional for the bike. I got a chrome and gold-colored medallion cap for my gas cap, as shown in this picture. Since the bike is black with a few chrome accessories, I think that the gold and chrome accessories will go a long way in adding some color and individualization to my new ride.

Speaking of baubles, I also had my first close-call bobble today, and it was reminiscent of when I dropped my first bike almost 20 years ago. I am proud to announce though, that today's close call had a much more favorable outcome.

While going around a corner, I hit a patch of gravel, causing the front wheel to momentarily lose traction. Fortunately, I was being cautious, traveling at a reasonably slow pace, and had recently taken my motorcycle safety course. I sincerely believe that it was the combination of all three aspects that kept me from dropping my bike. Unlike twenty years ago, I realize that I'm not invincible and therefore take a little more care in my riding.

Speaking of the bike... I usually don't make a habit of naming my vehicles, but I'm thinking of naming my Harley. It's generally accepted that boats and cars are given female names, so I think my Sportster should be named accordingly. I'm thinking Sophia. Any input?

No comments: