Saturday, October 20, 2007

Free at Last

...the truth will set you free...

...what goes around, comes around...


Both of these little nuggets of wisdom came into play when my ex-wife was pulled over by the cops yesterday on a traffic violation. You see, since June of 2006, there has been a warrant out for her arrest for "violating the terms of her probation." (It's amazing what you can find out on the internet.) Ironically enough, her license plates expired around the same time, and she's been driving around for over a year with expired tags. And oh, did I mention that she's been driving without a license? Back in 2005 she got busted for a couple of traffic violations. She never paid the fines, so they suspended her license. I knew it was simply a matter of time before all of this caught up with her.

How did I find out about all of this, you may ask? Well, she got pulled over on her way to pick up the kids. She kind of had to tell me, because she needed me to keep the kids until she came up with bail money. I ended up having the kids overnight...

This answers the whole "what goes around, comes around" thing, but what about "the truth will set you free?" I'm glad you asked. In the past, I've allowed myself to be put in a position where I felt that telling the kids about their mom's stupid human tricks was counter to their best interest, and I kept my mouth shut. It's doubly infuriating to hear her bashing on the kids' friends for driving without a license when she's doing it herself.

Last night, that came to an end. The little daughter asked me enough questions that I could no longer simply avoid the issue. In the past, I've kept the kids out of it because I've believed it was in their best interest. Last night I was put in a position where I either covered for the evil ex and lie to the kids, or I tell them the truth. Why would I lie for someone to whom I have no loyalty. No brainer, eh? As The Mrs. and I went to bed, I rolled over and whispered in her ear... "I feel lighter tonight."

No comments: