Thursday, April 30, 2009

Posting Just to Post

Man, it's crazy how worried people are about the swine flu. Yeah, it's a little scary how quickly it's spreading, but I think people are looking at this from the wrong angle. Let's say that this strain of flu really is widespread and fatal. Well, there will be an increased demand for doctors and gravediggers, and if there are fewer people, the unemployment rate will drop. In short, the swine flu is good for our economy.

Speaking of crazy, I love my mom, but she's fucking bonkers.

You may recall that I moved my blog from the old location to here because I was being stalked by a former co-worker. He's still going to my old location from time to time... maybe he's gay and has a secret crush on me.

It turns out that I'm pretty good at do-it-yourself home repairs. I had a copper plumbing pipe burst last week. It was the pipe that leads to the outside... the one that I would use to water the lawn, wash my car and so forth, so it was no big deal. I just shut off the water to that specific pipe and fixed the problem at my leisure. But I must admit that I'm kind of proud that I was able to unsolder the broken pipe, buy the replacement parts for less than $20, and solder the whole thing back together in less than an hour.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

1)*LOL- now THAT's the way to look at it....and a novel way at That!!!

2)I would really like to know the story BEHIND the Mom statement- if she's anything like my mom- you can't tell for fear people will think it may be an inherited trait.
;-)

3) Still? Good lord- I think you may be on to something there Evan!!

4)Lalallalalalalal- Don't even wanna say the dreaded words "DIY Home Repair!!....But am glad SOMEONE finds it so easy..
;-)

.....And besides- what are you talking about? Didnt'y you do, like, a LOT of remodeling last year or the one before on your house?
Or am I going dottery???

Paulius said...

Ah, swine flu...

It's reminding me a lot of the SARS outbreak from a couple of years ago. Everyone went batshit crazy despite the fact that more people died of regular old flu than they did of sars during the outbreak.

Same shit over and over...if it's not designed to terrify, then it's just not news.

(Today's word verification word is 'Bukssh'...the act of being silent in a library.)

Evan 08 said...

Sunny:
My mom is a very right-wing conservative, Christian Coalition type. In case you hadn't heard, same-sex marriage was legalized a couple of weeks ago in my state. I, on the other hand, am... ummmm... less conservative. Can you see where I'm going with this??

It's okay that we disagree. What's not okay, is that she wouldn't simply agree to disagree, and we literally argued for DAYS over the issue.

And yes, you are correct that I've done some serious work on the house since I've lived here. But I do the stuff infrequently enough that I still get a tremendous amount of satisfaction when things turn out as I had hoped -- especially when it doesn't take dozens of tries to get things right!

Paulius:
Yep... another instance of fearmongering. That's kind of why I tend to put a really twisted bend on sensationalistic news.

My word verification word: MIZEWR. (MI' zew' er) A rich person that's so tight-fisted with his money that he lives in the city's shit pipes.

Sunny said...

OMG- my mom was the same about electing Obama into office - simply because of his skin color and WE argued for days as well. And yes i voted for him and told her so.
Moms- gotta love 'em but sometimes you wanna say......"To the MONN, MOM!! To the MOON!!!!" ala Ralph Cramdon.

And yes- I feel the same satisfaction when I re-arrange our furniture- so in the future, since you know the same feeling- maybe you can pursuade Paul to let me move it around more???

LOL- JK- I KNOW what that answer will be- it was worth a try anyway, tho!!!!