Monday, August 10, 2009

A Little Vindication Goes a Long Way

You may recall that I left my last job under less-than-ideal circumstances.

Yesterday, I ran into someone from the H.R. department of that company. She said that she and many others missed me... specifically my quick response to their needs and my willingness to help out when they had problems.

She then asked if I had heard that a co-worker of mine had just left the company. I told her that I don't keep in touch with this guy, because he was instrumental in my less-than-ideal departure. I also said that I knew that he was badmouthing me after I left. She said something to the effect of "Yeah, but he trash talks everyone after they leave."

She said that she had long suspected that I was railroaded out, and reiterated that people missed me because I was "one of the good ones." I left that conversation feeling kind of vindicated, and a little vindication goes a long way. And even better, I had a perfect chance to trash-talk that former co-worker, and I felt good about passing up the chance.

No comments: