Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Evan's Christmas Memories

In response to Sunny's latest post, discussing times of Christmas Past, I've decided to share a couple of Christmas memories of my own. So, without further ado, here are a some of my fondest recollections...

One Christmas, somewhere between ten and fifteen years ago, my kids' mom and I were slumbering peacefully, when my older daughter came in and whispered "Dad, it's Christmas! Time to wake up and open presents." When I opened my eyes, I immediately noticed that it was still dark; once my eyes finally focused, I saw that it was about 4:30 AM. (I don't recall the exact time, I just remember that it was waaaaay early.)

Figuring that I'd be clever and stall for some more time, I said "Go back to your room and go to sleep. We'll open presents when your little sister wakes up."

"Okay daddy," she replied.

Pleased that I had dodged that bullet, I closed my eyes and starting drifting back to sleep, when I heard it... barely a whisper...

"Erin, wake up. It's Christmas. Daddy said that we could open presents when you get up."

I didn't get back to sleep that morning.

--------------

Fast-forward a few years... The kids' mom and I had recently split up. It was the first Christmas since we parted ways, and I wanted to get the kids something that they'd remember. Unfortunately, I was on a budget. So I did a couple of things...

I went out and purchased about a dozen unfinished ceramic Christmas ornaments, and we spent a full night hanging out and painting the ornaments. They still adorn our tree every year. In fact, every year since then, I have purchased an ornament for each kid, and for Mrs. Evan. I've been doing this for enough years that we need a bigger tree.

--------------

That same year, I also wanted to get each kid something "big." When I say "big," I really mean large, because everyone knows that children love to unwrap big boxes. Baby Evan didn't yet have a bicycle, so I scraped enough cash together to get her her first real bike. The older little Evan already had one, so that took a bit more creativity. I looked around and finally decided to get her a nice sleeping bag. She was at the age where she was doing sleep-overs, and I thought it would be something that she'd like for that very reason, and something that she'd use a lot.

I was half right... it was something that she did use a lot. Unfortunately, she was really pissed that her sister got a new bike, and all she got was a lousy sleeping bag. Big fail on dad's part!! In fact, every time she used it... and every Christmas since that fateful morning... she has gone to great pains to remind me that baby Evan must be the favorite, because she got a new bike for Christmas, and all the older Evanette got was a sleeping bag. Just to reiterate, Big fail on dad's part!!

1 comment:

Sunny said...

LOL- OMGosh K
Sometimes kids have memories like an elephant and mouths like a pissed off grudge holding wife. That was NOT a BIG FAIL on Dad's part either- that was a slight miscalculation due to unforeseen circumstances beyond his control.(You can use that if you like.)
I'm also glad to see I wasn't the only kid who used that tactic to get up before the break of dawn. :-)