Friday, December 17, 2010

Forgive? Forget? Naaaah.

Back in August, when my Uncle died, I wrote this post. That article obviously discussed my Uncle's passing, but it also had another topic, and I'm going to back up a bit and rehash that today.

My uncle lived in the same town where I grew up as a kid, so when he was in hospice, I was also visiting my hometown. I considered calling a select few people, but I only made one call... to Lisa. As I said in the last post, she hung up on me when I called her. To clarify, I called, she answered, and when I said "Hi," she instantly hung up the phone, without a word. On the off chance that she had been disconnected, I called again and the line was busy. I figured that I'd wait for a bit, just in case we had both tried to call each other and both ended up with a busy signal. After another ten to fifteen minutes, I tried again. This time, I didn't even have a chance to say "hi." The phone was simply picked up and immediately hung up again. The message was loud and clear. She had nothing to say to me. With that, I have washed my hands of her.

For the most part, I have to admit that I felt relief. As I said in my last post on this topic, we had a falling out of sorts. At least this brought some definitive end to things. I don't need the last word, I don't need any additional closure or anything like that. I am willing to accept that we are no longer friends, and I don't lose any sleep over it.

Fast-forward to yesterday, when I went to the mailbox and discovered a Christmas card from her, addressed to the entire family. I could certainly understand if she'd have sent a card to my kids. She's known them both since infancy, and they love their Leesee. I am a little flummoxed, and slightly irritated by this one. I really don't like the idea of getting a Christmas card from someone who's at best pretending to be my friend. It certainly hasn't changed my decision to let the relationship remain dead. It would require too much time and effort on my part to try to forgive and forget.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Oh I agree!!
After that little display I'd send it back if it were me.
"Return To Sender" and leave it at that!!

Pretenders are not REAL friends and I don't need any of them in my life. Been there-Done that- Don't wanna go back!

Paulius said...

The only thing I'll ask is if it's possible that she mistook you for someone else on the phone the first time around.

If she didn't, I completely agree with you. Life is too short for any unnecessary stress and drama.

Evan 08 said...

@Sunny... I had considered a return to sender, but like I said, my kids still love her. It wouldn't be fair to them.

@Paul... No, she knew it was me.

Sunny said...

Wouldn't have mattered to me, Evan...I mean, after the way she treated you- would you want to even entertain the idea of her doing that to your kids too?

I wouldnt- but then, that's me and my opinion...and we know about those dont we?
;-)
Hope you and yours have a Very Happy Holiday Season!!!