Saturday, February 19, 2011

OMG, It's Been a Whole Freaking Year!!

Those of you who know me know that I tend to be addicted to doing projects. Last February, yes, and entire year ago, I decided to reface my cabinets. I have long despised my not-quite-white-anymore cabinets and after consulting with Mrs. Evan, I decided to reface them. I plugged away slowly but steadily for about three months... doing one cabinet door every now and then as time allowed. And then the project stalled. It's been a LOT of work. Finally, after months of seeing my not-quite-halfway-finished project staring me in the face day in and day out, I have broken out of the rut.

Over the last couple of days, I've gotten back into the swing of things, and I am moving forward again with the cabinet refacing. Here's a shot of the first set of cabinets that I've refaced...

For those of you keeping track, note that these cabinets started out completely white. I punched out the center and installed frosted plexiglass, sanded the paint off of the cabinet doors, and put a wood veneer over the cabinet frames.

I've got to say that I'm VERY pleased with the outcome thus far (bearing in mind that I'm a LONG way from finished... this is only the first cabinet, and I haven't stained them yet.) But at the same time, I had NO IDEA how labor intensive this project would be. If I had it to do all over again, I would have never started this, saved up the money, and started from scratch. It's relatively inexpensive, but the amount of labor I've put in thus far is downright obscene.

By the way, if you're interested in what things looked like before, take a look at the original post I wrote when I started this.

No comments: