Monday, May 23, 2011

Handyman

Well, it took me two trips to the hardware store and several hours, but I have once again demonstrated my handy man repair abilities. The pipe for my outdoor faucet burst over the winter, so I fixed it. Since it was a non-critical pipe, and I was able to do it at my leisure, I figured what the hell. I may be slow at it, but I have to admit that I'm getting reasonably adept at repairing copper plumbing. And of all the jobs I've done in the past, this one didn't suck too bad.

By the way, this is the second year in a row that this pipe has burst, so I replaced the internal shutoff valve and insulated the pipe while I was at it. Hopefully I'll be done plumbing for a while.

Just for shits and grins, here are a couple of pictures...

Here's a before shot. Notice that the pipe burst at the elbow...











Here's the after shot. During my work, I noticed that the pipe going through the wall had also burst, so I replaced that as well. It was actually easier to cut out the old valve and replace it too, which I did, but when I installed the new one, I installed the valve so it was pointing toward me instead of facing away.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Outside plumbing when a pipe freezes and bursts is the WORST!!! Pauls last bout was with my brother, Charlie at my mom's house on Christmas EVE a couple years back. Her boyfriend had pulled a root from a fig tree out of the ground and cracked the outside faucet plumbing doing so. God Bless Paul and Charlie, it would have been a miserable Christmas Day without water for those of us that lived on the property!!! Copper is so much sturdier than PVC crap!!!

Evan 08 said...

I was fortunate... this was in my garage, and I was able to do the task at my leisure.