Monday, April 2, 2012

... On Business and On Government...

I read two interesting articles that chapped my hide, but my comments will be short and sweet.

In this article, entitled "Obama Issues Stern Language on Supreme Court Health Care Decision, Obama says that he's confident that the Supreme Court "will uphold [ObamaCare] because it should be upheld (emphasis mine). Am I the only one who thinks that's just horrible logic?

Later in the article, he borrowed the term 'Judicial Activism' from conservatives by saying "For years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism." I think it's pretty slick that he adopted that terminology for this issue, but I really hate the terms judicial activism and legislating from the bench. The constitution basically says this... The legislative branch (congress) writes laws. The executive branch (the president and governors) approve and/or enforce laws, and the judicial branch interprets laws. What this means in English is that the judicial branch merely interprets the law, generally based on precedent, in cases that are brought before them. Furthermore, from a historical standpoint, each branch of the government has had more than one turn being the dominant branch in our government, which by design is full of checks and balances.

As for the business side, I read this article about a teacher's aide who was fired for refusing to give up her Facebook password. In my humble opinion, this is just wrong! Why is it wrong for the government to stick it's nose into my business, but it's acceptable for my employer to demand my Facebook password as a condition of continued employment? This is another example of business having too much power over the individual.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

On the FB issue- an employer would be SOL if they want MY Password for anything.....I dont KNOW any of them. I have them set up to automatically sign me in on my computer and have forgotten them all. I usually have a few diff passwords i use for my accounts- but I'll be damned if I'm gonna give them to ANYONE(except Paul). I am an adult and my business is MY business and I'll thank Big Brother to stay the hell out of it.