Saturday, October 19, 2013

Getting Fit - A Year in Review

It's been about a year since I started exercising, so now is a good time to look back and see how I actually did as compared to how I expected I'd do.

When I chose to start a regular exercise program last year, it was done after numerous false starts over the years.  I'd never been a big fan of working out or running, but surprisingly, those are the core activities of my routine.

I made three major deviations from my past attempts that I believe helped make this attempt at a healthier lifestyle a success.  First, I actually spent some money.  I went out and bought new gym shoes, gym clothes, and swim attire.  I did this because I don't like to waste money.  The second change was to NOT have a workout partner.  Historically, I figured that a workout partner would help me stay motivated to continue.  In reality though, if either one of us voiced any desire to skip a workout... well, you get the picture.  Finally, I brought music.  I have a workout playlist on my smart phone, filled with upbeat music that helps keep me focused.  (No eye of the tiger though.)

With all of my aforementioned false starts, I knew that not sticking with it was a real possibility.  But when I started this time, I didn't envision that.  I did, however, envision more muscle mass, and more strength than I actually have.  I know that part of the reason I'm not quite as developed as I expected is because I missed so many workouts during the summer.  The overwhelming majority of this was unavoidable.  (The point is that I never quit.)  The other reason I haven't progressed as much as I thought is that I simply underestimated how difficult it would be to put on muscle mass as a middle-aged guy.  (That, and the fact that I've always been on the slender side.)

I still haven't reached all of my original goals.  I can't do a set of 50 perfect push-ups.  And though I have successfully completed a first class Marine Corps PFT, I usually end up about 10 points shy of a first class.  I can, however, swim a mile without much effort at all.  I'm not breaking any speed records, but speed was never part of the goal.

Regardless of whether or not I've progressed as much as I envisioned a year ago, I've stayed with it.  I look better, and I feel better.  I'm pleased that I've made it a year.  I've been doing it long enough that I can confidently say that I've actually made a more active lifestyle change.

No comments: