Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Carhartt Convert


I grew up wearing Levi's.  I loved their 501's (until the buttons would blow out), and I can't count how many pair of 550's I've owned; but over the years their quality seems to have diminished.  I used to be able to wear Levi's for years before they disintegrated, but lately they seem to barely last a year.  With that in mind, it was time to try something different.  I figured that I'd do a side by side comparison and bought two pair of Levi's and two pair of Carhartt's on the same day. Neither pair of Levi's lasted a year before blowing out the knees.  Both pair of Carhartt's lasted over 18 months.  One pair is on its way to two years with no holes or thin spots.  Better yet, Carhartt jeans are generally less expensive than Levi's.  Double score!

I also grew up on those one-size-fits-none cheap socks you get at Wal-Mart.  I've got relatively small feet, and was tired of having the heel of cheap socks sitting well above the heel of my foot.  I had good experiences with Carhartt's jeans, so I figured it would be worthwhile to try their socks.  I'm glad I did.  The socks fit perfectly!  They're also slightly thicker at the ball and heel, and they provide just the right amount of arch support.  Yes, they're more expensive than some, but they're absolutely worth it.

As my old t-shirts and flannel shirts wear out, I suspect I'll try Carhartt shirts out as well.  Hey, they've done this well with jeans and socks...


2 comments:

Sunny said...

My Poor dad always had his closet raided by his daughters....for his plaid flannel shirts. Now I do it to Paul.........except for his dress shirts.

I've only been able to wear levis when i was super skinny, I was always a Route 66 Girl. None of them ever lasted as long or wore as well as plain old BDU's from the Army/Navy Surlpus Store tho. And their Jump/jungle boots are da BOMB!!!!

Evan 08 said...

Oh yeah, I LOVE cammies, which is what the Marine Corps calls them... short for Camouflage Utilities. I've still got several pair that I owned when I was in the Marine Corps... and I got out 21 years ago. I've also got a sateen top that my dad wore when he was in the Air Force. That top is over 40 years old and still in great shape.

I also recently bought two pair of Rothco Deployment boots with the zipper on the side... LOVE these boots!