Sunday, October 20, 2013

Of Volunteering and Veterans

My church did something really cool today.  Instead of preaching and learning the word of God, we put it into action by volunteering throughout the community.  I was tasked with mowing the lawn for a Vietnam-era Army veteran who has a bad hip and is awaiting hip replacement surgery.

Originally, I was slated to share the job with another guy from my church... a guy who happens to be an Air Force veteran.  Being a Marine veteran, I thought the whole thing was really cool... two vets helping out another vet.  Shortly after finding out the scope of the project, a third guy from the church showed up.  His job was to take pictures of the various volunteer projects in action.  Being a doer, I fired up the mower and started tackling the task at hand.  The photographer/videographer took a few pictures of me mowing while he was talking to the Air Force guy.  After the flyboy and the photographer chatted for a few minutes, the photographer said that he was going to his next site.  Flyboy then informed me that I appeared to have things under control, so he was going to hit a different volunteer site.  Amused, I finished the job by myself, realizing this was a perfect analogy for the US Military.

-The Army can't complete its mission and calls for help.
-The Air Force shows up, but as soon as the photo op is over, they're gone.
-The Navy is nowhere to be found.
-The Marine Corps accomplishes the mission with no fanfare, because the press has left.

No comments: