Tuesday, November 11, 2014

No Thanks Necessary

Like many Veterans, I was greeted with many thanks and well wishes today.  I had a free meal at Applebee's.  It's been a good day.  I want you to know that I very much appreciate the sentiments expressed by so many of my family, friends and even strangers.

With that said though, I would like to say that, for me, the thanks aren't necessary.  Don't get me wrong.  I really do appreciate it.  It's just not necessary.  As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't a sacrifice to become a Marine and serve my country.  It was an honor.  It was a privilege.  Yes, I was deployed in two foreign conflicts.  Yes, I was in harm's way.  But I came back whole.  My fellow servicemen and my countrymen stood behind me.

Besides, it's not as if I didn't get anything in return.  I received the opportunity to get out of a small town in the Midwest, where I knew I'd waste away if I didn't leave.  I made lifelong friends.  I received an education.  I received discipline.  I traveled the world and experienced different cultures.  I met the mother of my children while I was in the Marine Corps.  I learned that that the Midwest actually had a lot to offer.  I learned loyalty, commitment and camaraderie.  In short, my enlistment gave me as much as I gave my country.

I always appreciate when people thank me for my service.    Like I said though, becoming a Marine wasn't really a hardship.  It was something I did with pride.  When I receive the kudos, I just say thank you in return.  It's a lot easier to say thank you than to explain that thanks aren't necessary.

No comments: