Sunday, August 30, 2026

Made My Day

I did a quick check on Facebook this morning and saw a friend request that made my day.

The friend request was from one of my (now former) delayed entry program poolees who just earned the title Marine.  This young man graduated boot camp two days ago, and one of the first things he did was send me a friend request.  Let me give you a little backstory...

When this kid first signed the paperwork, he was not a perfect example of physical fitness.  I know for certain that I ran faster than he did, and I believe I did more pull-ups and planked longer, though I'm not 100% on that recollection.  Just before he shipped out to boot camp, he shared that I intimidated the hell out of him because I was in better shape than him, and said that his motivation to beat me inspired him to improve.  By the way, before he went to boot camp, he was able to run faster, crank out more pull-ups, and plank longer than me, so I feel like I served my purpose.

Now this young man has earned his Eagle, Globe and Anchor, and one of the first things he did was send me a friend request.  I kind of feel like a teacher who had a student come back to visit and say you were one of my all-time favorite teachers.  That $h!+ made my day.

No comments: