Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Reception Begins


After the meal, the cake-cutting and the mandatory dances, the party started in earnest. The party started a little slow, which tends to happen at formal events (nobody wants to be the first person to look like an idiot). So when the DJ called everyone up to sing to Adam and Cathy, I stepped up when people were hesitant to go. When I saw that people were still hesitant, I snagged the mic from the DJ and went around to the tables and teased folks until they went up to sing.

"We don't know the words," they'd say.

"I don't either, I'm gonna fake it," was my reply.

"I don't dance," they'd quip.

"I don't either, I just flop around like a fish out of water," I'd respond.

"Dad's acting weird," my daughter noted.

"You mean he's acting like the life of the party?" was my fiancee's answer.

It was the best time I'd had in ages. I hope that Adam and Cathy remember it as fondly as I do. I hope that it was one of the highlights of their lives, and that it lived up to their expectations.

No comments: