Monday, July 25, 2005

If I'd Have Known It Was This Easy, I'd Have Done It Sooner

Wow! I've had more regulars drop by in the past week or so than I've had since starting this blog. I knew that the blogsphere was a community, but I didn't realize the implication of this knowledge.

It all started last weekend when I ran across a blog site giving a few tips on how to get more readers. Though I had configured the blog correctly (making sure the "next blog" link was visible, archiving appropriately and making sure to notify blogger.com when I did an update), I completely missed the boat on the community aspect of it. I had an "If I build it, they will come" mentality, which was waaaaaayyy off base. There's a little more to it than that.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a hit whore who just logs on to see how many people actually read the drivel that I post, but I will admit that I was a little bit frustrated that I didn't have at least a couple of semi-regular readers (outside of friends and family). Heck, I even read a lot of blogs daily, but again, I was still a little slow at figuring out how this stuff works.

If you want to have any success in the blogsphere, you can't just write and hope that people will like your stuff. There are plenty of people out there with just as much -- or more -- talent than I possess. Wanna know the secrets? Well, lean in a little closer to the monitor and I'll tell you.

First, you've got to interact with the other bloggers. Don't just read their stuff, let them know when you like what you've read. And if you really like it, give them the courtesy of linking to their blog. They'll usually link to yours in return. (Though I suspect that a couple of people I've linked to linked back out of some feeling of obligation, I hope that in the end, everyone is happy that they've linked back to my stuff.)

It also helps to have something to say. Though it's cool to talk about the mundane aspects of your day, you can't just write about that. You've got to tie it into something a little more interesting, with a more broadbased appeal. Did you have a run-in with an idiot cashier at the grocery store? Cool. Go ahead and write about it; but tie it in to something larger... maybe you could talk about how all people are stupid, or how customer service is an oxymoron.

Learn how to write and spell. There's nothing more annoying to me than stumbling across a blog where the writer abbreviates everything, and you have to decypher what they're saying as if you were reading a Top Secret government document.

Post frequently. If you don't have frequent readers, posting frequently will get your blog on the "most recently updated" list on blogger. If you do have frequent readers and stop posting frequently, they'll stop coming by, and you have to rebuild your circle of readers.

The main aspects though, are frequent posts and frequent interaction. Once you make a couple of friends in the blogsphere, it seems to become self-sustaining after that. It takes a little bit of work and commitment, but if you don't make the commitment and do the work, then why bother?

No comments: