Thursday, July 28, 2005

My Kids Won't Let me Blog

As I'm writing this, my kids are wanting my undivided attention. That's how it is everyday with kids -- mine in particular. But no matter how nuts they drive me with their constant attention seeking, I try to keep it in perspective and give them every second of attention they need, without allowing myself to be their main source of entertainment every time they're bored.

"Dad, I'm bored."

"Read a book."

"I don't want to read."

"Ride your bike."

"It's too hot."

"Clean your room." (That one usually gets them to stop.)

"I don't want to clean my room."

"Well kid, I'm out of ideas. Guess you'll have to find something else to do."

"There's nothing to do."

"Well kid, I'm your dad. I'm supposed to be your parent, guide and mentor... not your main source of entertainment when your friends are all off doing something else.

"What's a mentor?"

Arrrrrggggghhhhh.

Repeat as necessary.

But like I've said earlier, I try to give them my undivided attention at least for a while each day. Even when they're driving me nuts -- fighting, telling me how bored they are, telling me about their latest crisis while I'm trying to blog -- I always manage to remember how much I love them, and keep in mind that they won't always be wanting my attention. My older daughter is twelve and already act like a teenager withdrawing from her parents... unless of course she's bored.

Since I'm the adult, and fully understand that my kids won't always want my attention, I try to enjoy their attention when they're kind enough to give it to me. It won't last long. But it definitely cuts into my blogging and slacking time.

Tonight we're going to the night swim at one of the municipal pools. It lasts until 8:30. Hopefully I'll have time to check out some of my new friends' blogs (and comment on them) when I return. Hopefully, I'll get a little time to do a little more blogging of my own. (I've been smart enough to write down a couple of ideas as they cross through my little brain housing group.) But then again, they may want to play "tackle dad," their favorite passtime with me... so my next entry may have to wait a little longer.

Oh, by the way, the first part of today's entry took about 20 minutes, because the kids kept interrupting me... "What're you doing?" "Your driver's license picture looks funny." (What are you doing in my wallet?!?) "How long until we go swimming?" "Can we bring a friend?" (No.) The last part took only five minutes. They found something else to do for a few minutes. I think they're changing into their swim suits.

No comments: