Monday, June 26, 2006

A Ramble

You may have heard about the recent arrests of those folks in Miami and Atlanta who where plotting to blow up the Sears Tower. Naturally, the government is sounding their warnings, with law enforcement and terrorism experts expressing their concern. Here’s my two cents.

I’ve got to say that I’m completely NOT surprised that any branch of law enforcement is saying they’re concerned. By keeping the threat of terrorism constantly in our collective conscience, they can succeed in their desire for continually increasing funds for their bureaucracies, and pushing though legislation that erodes the rights and liberties of the average American citizen.

In tacit collusion with these bureaucracies, are those who desire security above all else, those who blindly believe the government’s alarmist cries. They echo the government officials who say “Gee if you’ve got nothing to hide, then you shouldn’t mind this illegal wire tapping.” Sorry, but I don’t agree. I didn’t spend six years in the military defending Washington’s right to censor, erode or legislate our Constitutional rights into non-existence. This isn’t a question of whether or not I have something to hide. This is a question of whether or not I have the right to hide something; and it’s the question of whether or not I have the right to say that our society is giving up its basic freedoms to a corrupt governmental establishment, in the name of a false security. It’s time to end this charade.

Maybe the government should start understanding that these “homegrown terrorists” are not necessarily fighting on the side of al-Queda, but they are fighting against the tyranny that is our own government. The government that is supposed to help keep us free is the same government that has used every opportunity to gather more power, invade our lives and destroy our privacy.

I’m not advocating a violent overthrow of the government, but I have definitely reached the point where I detest my government enough to understand the mentality of those who do want a coup.

No comments: