Monday, June 18, 2007

A Note on Father's Day

Between my time of being a father and my time of having a father, I've experienced a lot of Father's Days. For the most part, I'm not really big on this kind of holiday, because I firmly believe that such days were contrived by businessmen, keen on getting their clientèle to part with a few more of their hard-earned dollars.

Over time, my opinion has changed. It's not because I'm suddenly concerned with the holiday, but because my kids are. A couple of weeks before each Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Father's day, the kids start planning how they're going to honor us. They start making little cards and crafts, and giving not-so-subtle queries regarding what I want for said holiday. Over the course of the next couple of days, they tease me and ask if I want my gift right away. I always say that I'll wait, which seems to torture them more than me.

When the day arrives, I'm usually awakened with children jumping on my bed, and the kids trying to get me to look at their gifts, despite the fact that my eyes haven't focused yet, followed by a breakfast whipped up by the young-uns. Throughout the day they do little things... shows, notes and so forth... and ask me if I'm enjoying "my" day.

At the end of the day, I end up thinking "This isn't what I'd have chosen for 'my' day, but it was better in its own way." Father's Day isn't really about the father. It's about the kids.

No comments: