Monday, August 13, 2007

Experiencing Star Trek

One of our Las Vegas forays included a trip to the Hilton hotel... not to see the infamous socialite of the same name, but to visit the Star Trek Experience. (Besides, considering that there was a Star Trek convention in Las Vegas that weekend, I'm sure we would have been sorely disappointed if we went to the Hilton for the purpose of seeing what's-her-name.) No, wifey-poo and I had a couple of ulterior motives for going. We went partially because we wanted to do the Experience again, but we also went because Neighbor Girl's mom is a closet Star Trek geek and we wanted to hook her up with some bling.

In all honesty, I was (more than) a little concerned that the kids would think the Experience was lame. I combated this by intentionally not answering their questions about what it was like. I neither played it up nor downplayed it. I said there were a couple of rides and left it at that. (My ploy worked perfectly, by the way.) We arrived shortly before the attraction opened, and were greeted by a Ferengi shopkeeper. The guy was a perfect Ferengi... somewhat socially inept, missing the average human cues, and talking about how he was socializing because he heard that it's good for business.

The Experience was a little more pricey than I remembered, especially when I threw in some pictures. They asked if I wanted pics, and I said "Yeah, sure." So they threw on an extra ten bucks or so... little did I realize that this meant one shot with one person in the photo. Any variance cost extra. Since Big Daughter was in the roller coaster shot (see yesterday's post), I wanted to spread the wealth, so I sat the Little Daughter in the Captain's Chair. She's a natural-born leader, eh?




And I put Neighbor Girl in the Borg shot. She did this little "thumbs up" pose while we were in the lobby and I thought it was soooo cute that I told her she should do that pose in the Borg chamber. She didn't really get it when she took the pic... in fact, she was a little reluctant to do this pose. But look at that picture!! It's SO classic that it's one of my favorite all-time pictures of anyone, anywhere! Neighbor Girl of Borg... happy to be assimilated.

Like I said, I was a little skeptical about taking my girls to the Star Trek experience. My reason for taking them was because my wife, Neighbor Girl's mom and I are all nerds. But in the end, they all had a blast. By the way, we had lunch in Quark's restaurant.

No comments: