Monday, February 25, 2008

That's Efficient

It's finals week at my older daughter's school and I was helping her study for her science exam. She's really struggling, so the task was pretty daunting for both of us. She was trying to cram months worth of knowledge into a few hours, and I was attempting to teach her things she should really already know.

I asked her how to determine the efficiency of a simple machine... the formula is efficiency equals input work divided by output work. She was having a difficult time grasping the concept and I was having an attack of flatulence. As I let one rip, she exclaimed "That's gross!"

"Yeah, but it was efficient," I retorted.

"How do you figure?"

"Well, there wasn't a lot of input work, but there sure was a lot of output."

Over the course of the evening, every time something slipped, I wryly said "That was efficient."

I think the kid knows the formula for determining efficiency now.

No comments: