Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Speed of Life

Anyone who's seen Spaceballs is familiar with Ludicrous Speed. I'm starting to think that life in general travels at Ludicrous Speed. Life's pace starts out slow, but continually accelerates as you get older, with the occasional wrinkles where time speeds up or slows down for no real apparent reason. Yep, life travels at ludicrous speed.

Okay, but what's making me say this? I'm glad you asked. You've probably noticed that my posts are more sporadic and schizophrenic lately. That's because work and home have become increasingly busy, leaving me less time to write (my favorite form of therapy), and a more scattered, wide-ranging array of topics to write about once I get around to it. Hence my infrequent, but long and rambling posts.

*****

It's snowing again this morning. One of those light, steady snows that will leave just a little bit of accumulation. I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned it already, but we've had more snow this year than we've had in a long time. I like the scenery, and I like driving around in the snow, but I don't particularly like the cold, or the work of shoveling my driveway, and I riding my motorcycle. Part of me wants to say that I can't wait 'til spring, but since I like living in the moment, I really can. I'd rather put up with a little more cold weather and enjoy the present than look forward to the future and miss the now.

*****

My older daughter has taken to saying "Oh your god," a line from Futurama, but when IMs with her friends, she still says "OMG." I noticed this one day and said "Hey kid, you should start typing OYG instead of OMG."

She looked at me with that deer-in-the-headlights expression for a second, then I saw it click as she grinned and started laughing. "Oooooooh, I get it. Oh your god!!"

*****

The kids and I are still playing a lot of Halo 3 online, though we do it for completely different reasons. The kids are primarily into the social aspect and the game is secondary. I'm in it for the game play and frequently mute the loudmouthed, smacktard children who don't know when or how to STFU. Since we share an online account, all of our friends are on the same list, so I get their friends hitting me up to play when I'm online and vice-versa.

Our friends are learning this, but I've got to admit that it bugs me when I come home and hear them talking shit online, because they're talking trash in my name.

But what I really don't like is my younger daughter's friends from school. (My wife got tired of me saying this all the time around the house, so I've got to say it here.) They're loud-mouthed, disrespectful little control freak bullies. Whenever they get together with the kids, they demand to be the party leaders, insist on playing their maps and games and talk shit incessantly. Since they're playing their maps and rules, they know all of the sweet hiding spots and weapons caches, and use this knowledge mercilessly to slaughter my girls.

*****

My home PC is getting a little long in the tooth. I bought it in November of 1999. Don't get me wrong, back then it was a hot-rod and it's served its use well, but I'm ready to upgrade. Unfortunately, it's not quite time. The thing is, we keep acquiring all of these USB devices, and my PC is only running USB 1. Earlier this week, my younger daughter brought home a web cam (even though my camcorder is perfectly suited for that task, but that's another story). The thing is, I'm already crawling under the desk to swap out USB cables for other devices, and like I said, the USB 1 isn't quite adequate. I guess this means I'm going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a USB 2 card today. This will completely max out my poor old PC, but what the hell, it'll extend its life for a few more months.

No comments: