Tuesday, February 5, 2008

To Quote My Daughter...

... this is a little awkward.

The Mrs. called me at work this morning, informing me that she got a call from someone in the ex-wife's family. My ex-father-in-law is terminally ill, and my phone was the only number they had. I told the ex, who called me back in short order and told me that her dad has about two weeks to live, because of an inoperable brain tumor.

I felt bad for the ex's step-mom and baby sister. The baby sister is about the same age as my older girl, and she's losing her dad. The ex was bawling in the phone as she asked me to keep the kids for the next two weeks while she flies out to see her dad, and what am I thinking?

-Hmmm... I've got a lot of work to do. How do I keep this short?

-I wonder if she expects me to respond.

-I don't get why she's bawling about her dad. They're obviously not close... his family didn't even know how to get in touch with her.

It may sound heartless, but it's tough to feel sympathy for someone who's as reckless, self-absorbed and self-destructive as my ex. I do feel for the family though.

No comments: