Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Current Sight is 20/20

When I was younger, I had awesome vision. In fact, when I got out of the Marine Corps, they tested me at 20/15. I was able to read the 20/10 line, but they didn't count it. Of course, that was almost 20 years ago.

During the past two years or so, I've experienced a noticeable deterioration in my vision. Six months or so ago, I picked up a set of reading glasses, because I got to the point where my arms weren't long enough to make small print readable. (That's not exactly 100% true, but you get the point.) But when I picked up the reading glasses, I knew that I was merely postponing the inevitable.

The prospect of getting glasses wasn't a psychological blow or anything like that. My decision to hold off was strictly practical... no vision insurance, and I was able to function without prescription lenses. Well, everything's changed now. Last week I went to an ophthalmologist, had a full eye exam, and found out that I need... bifocals.

I got the glasses yesterday, and I'm still getting used to them. After 40 years of moving my eyes to what I want to see, it's a bit odd to have to move my entire head to keep my field of vision.

No comments: