Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Healthier Me?

I gave up the cancer sticks. I've said this quite a few times over the last quarter century. Yeah, that's right, I started smoking almost 25 years ago. Probably one of the dumbest decisions I ever made, but that's not the point.

Before I get to the point, I want to make one thing clear. I am NOT a victim. I did not fall prey to the evil tobacco companies. I made a stupid choice, and the consequences of smoking -- the cost of buying tobacco, the reduced lung capacity, and the possible long-term health repercussions -- are all the result of a poor choice I made as a teenager. I am not a victim.

Mark Twain was right when he said "Quitting's easy. I've done it a thousand times," or however he phrased it. I have quit dozens of times... it's always lasted at least a week. It once lasted for two years. It's refusing to cave to my random nicotine fits that eventually kicks my ass... or in the case of that two-year quit, it was my then-wife saying that she wanted a divorce. Regardless, as I've said repeatedly, I'm not a victim.

Now... to my point. One thing I've noticed in previous quits, is the increased appetite. The pundits say that it's because nicotine is an appetite suppressant; others say that food is a substitute for the cigarette. I've noticed something different, at least for me. Smoke "fills" my lungs the way that food fills my stomach. When I'd get hungry, I'd have a smoke, and my lungs would be "full," in a way that's similar to how my stomach is full after eating. Furthermore, since the lungs and the stomach are in relatively close proximity to one another, my brain said "close enough." The eating-smoking correlation isn't really an issue with me, it's just something I've noticed in previous attempts at life as a non-smoker, and since I'm on day one one without the cancer sticks, I figured that I'd bring it up.

By the way, I also plan to engage in light exercise... you know, a few push-ups, sit-ups and whatnot... nothing radically different. I just figure that since I'm giving up the smokes that it'll be easier to be a little more active.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Yeah- walking (or possibly riding your bike) would be a good thing to do to keep your mind off the sticks.

Good luck, Evan....or should I say Break a leg instead???

Evan 08 said...

I'll take the "good luck." I've broken a leg and it wasn't pleasant.

Today's word verification word: Nodegg: That mid-morning sleepy feeling that results from eating too much for breakfast.